P R E A M B L E
We are activists, intellectuals and ordinary citizens, many of us Muslim, who are committed to the successful integration of Europeans of immigrant or Muslim backgrounds. We believe that the path to peaceful co-existence among our increasingly diverse communities lies in upholding the values of universal human rights, freedom and democracy that have secured Europe’s postwar peace and prosperity. We feel the need to join our voices together in affirming those values as the basis for ensuring that Europeans of immigrant or Muslim backgrounds enjoy and value their equal rights and participate fully in society.
O U R B E L I E F S
- We are individuals before we are members of a group
- Integration must emphasise both rights and responsibilities.
- We must combat intolerance while protecting freedom.
- We will not accept practices that are contrary to the founding principles of the European Union.
- The ultimate authority in legal matters must be national judicial systems designed to express the will of the people while protecting the equal rights of the individual.
Click here to view our charter in full.
We call on all Europeans to join us in working to support integration as the basis for cultivating acceptance and tolerance among us. We urge policymakers and officials in Brussels, our national capitals and in our local communities to partner with us. In the face of the increased polarisation and cultural and religious tensions in Europe today, it is more important than ever that we emphasise the dignity of the individual as our common foundation.